The Dog Days of Summer
As a Washington, D.C. family and newborn photographer, I spend lots of time with children. My own three kids are grown now, but summer was always a savored season, a time to slow all the way down and enjoy the little things.
In reminiscing on those days, I’ve come up with a list of favorite screen free activities to do with your kids this summer. While I can’t promise to stop time, I do promise that this list will help you and your busy family to slow down and savor the season.
- Stay up late, catch fireflies and watch them glow
- Jump in puddles after a storm
- Life is short, so do a backwards dinner and EAT DESSERT FIRST!
- Take a nap after a pool day. No pool? No problem! Here’s a list of the DC area’s public pool spaces to consider.
- Hit the Zoo early in the day (psst…that’s when the animals are most active!)
- Find an ice cream truck and grab some treats – you, too, Mom
- Let your kids create a recipe. It might not be edible, but oh, the fun!
- Make flower crowns with dandelions (also a great way to get rid of weeds!)
- On a rainy day, stay in your pjs and play board games and do puzzles
Summer goes by quickly. There is something about good, old-fashioned, screen free and low-cost fun that really helps you savor these special, school-free months and make memories you’ll always remember fondly.
There are a few more lists of summer fun in Washington D.C. and its surrounding suburbs that are worth an honorable mention there, as well.