Decorating a nursery can be so much fun and a little overwhelming! There are so many different things to take into consideration. Here are some tips to make the process an easy and fun one!
1. Keep it classic. Neutral color walls can be the perfect timeless backdrop for the nursery of your dreams! You can use pops of color in other ways, such as, wall art (maybe canvases or photoblocks from your newborn session!), wall decals and accents in the room. Tips for paint: Use a water based, no VOC paint to keep it safe for baby. I highly recommend Clare paint! I have used the color Fresh Kicks in our DC apartment and there was no odor. Seriously, my husband didn’t even know I’d painted.
2. Choose furniture wisely. Furniture with clean lines keeps your nursery simple and timeless. Cooridinating styles and materials are the way to go! You don’t need to buy a full nursery set. Varying styles and finishes makes the room more interesting. Also, it’s fun to hunt for that PERFECT piece! Furniture must haves…a crib, a changing table, a comfy rocker or glider.
3. Versatility. Look for versatile furniture and pieces for the nursery. Items that are going to grow with your child. Maybe a dresser that can be used as a changing table or a crib that turns into a toddler bed or headboard. This way you won’t regret investing in quality furniture that will last!
4. Safety. When it comes to creating a space for your newborn who will grow into a toddler, it’s important to take some safety considerations. Make sure you secure heavy furniture and shelving to walls. A lot of furniture comes with the hardware to do this. Keep cribs and benches away from windows. Keep those blind strings out of reach! Use a rug pad or rug tape to keep your cute rugs from slipping and causing falls.
5. Storage. Babies come with a lot of stuff! That stuff needs a home. To keep your nursery looking organized and tidy, choose soft, easy to access storage. Toy boxes and storage with lids can be dangerous for little fingers! Try using book display shelves so you can easily find the book you are looking for. Keep all your diaper changing gear on or in the changing table for easy access.
I would LOVE to help you design a gallery wall fro your nursery at your newborn session! We can mix different wall art elements to create a gorgeous wall. Take a look at some nursery inspiration HERE.
I’d love to see your nursery! Share some pictures with me!