December 7, 2022
Fall for photographers, my friend, is what the holiday season is to retailers or April is for CPAs. In other words, it’s completely frenetic and that time of year when my calendar is totally full.
Am I thankful beyond measure? Absolutely.
But do I understand where the fall photo session rush started? Absolutely not.
In fact, I write today to tell you that winter, spring and summer are regularly overlooked and truly GREAT times for pictures.
Here are my top 5 reasons to skip fall and choose literally any other season for your family photos:
1. Fall is a busy season for everyone. It’s back to school, back to a sports and extracurricular schedule, and there are a boatload of holidays to celebrate in a very short window of time. Why add the stress of yet another thing on the calendar to your plate?
2. If you have kids in school or daycare – you’re already getting fall photos of them! Need I say more?
3. In-home sessions can be done no matter what the weather is like outside. A few backyard or porch snaps are usually doable in almost any weather, too. This takes allllll the worry out of tracking for weather, layering up and even footwear. And I think we could all use a few less things to worry about!
4. Spring and summer blooms abound in the warmer months, and your yard is aglow with those seasonal colors and sunshine. Why not use it when it’s looking its best?
5. You may have noticed from my work that I love bright and airy photographs and spaces, and dressing for a bright and airy look is much easier in the spring and summer months, with those flowy fabrics, light tones and textures.
But, you can use a picture taken any time of the year for your holiday card and gifts. I offer full family sessions all year. Not only is it easier to get on my calendar, but a full family session is a great way to avoid a mad shorter session rush, give your photographer time to capture your family dynamic and children’s personalities and you’ll have SO many images to choose from.
Just because it seems like everyone else is doing photos in the fall, doesn’t mean you need to follow the crowd! You do you!
Tell me, have I convinced you, or at least made you consider another season for your annual family photos?
Reach out to me on social media or drop me a note here and tell me!